Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Independent

Mom has always been very independent. She lived alone for years in a mobile home court until the space rent got higher and higher and the neighborhood kept deteriorating. So we helped her sell her mobile and get moved into a SHAG apartment for seniors on low income. About that time we also sold her car for her but THAT is another story.

The move was more than three years ago and it took some adjustment but she is starting to feel settled in now about it although she still is not real social with the other tenants there. She has problems with dizziness and we got her a nice walker but she balks at using it. She also has COPD and is a smoker. She quit for abut 12 years but for some reason started back again and buys her cigarettes from a neighbor that gets them from the Indian reservation (so I hear). She didnt asked me to buy her cigs for her but one time she asked me to buy her a lighter and I said, "What you are asking me to do is to help you commit suicide." She has never asked me again.

Ladybug and I buy her groceries for her and deliver them weekly. She has problems with her check book so we just get a Store Gift card and buy them on that until it runs out and then we get another one. Mom pays us for the card. We ONLY use it for her groceries. I help her balance her bank statement when it comes.

2 comments:

  1. We have asked them to remove her from the marketing mail list but they keep sending her these things. I'm goig to the post office and get some change of address forms and send them to them changing her address from her place to OUR place. THAT should resolve some of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elvis said...
    Mom called about 4:20PM all panicy and said, "You've got to come over here and help me sort out my insurance. I got some stuff here and I need some help."

    Ok, I'll take a look at it when I get over there. Are you going to be up for prayer meeting tonight?

    Probably not but what am I suposed to do with this health insurance paperwork?

    Don't worry about it right now. It is not something that I need to drop everything and run over there for. It is probably another one of those sales offers but put it aside maybe in a big envelope for now and I'll take care of it as soon as I can get over there. (She keeps getting herself messed up with junk mail solicitations)

    OK. Bye.

    ReplyDelete